The Komodo dragon (Varanus komodoensis) is an endangered species that can only be found in the Komodo National Park (KNP) in East Nusa Tenggara (NTT). Given the unique and rare nature of the Komodos, KNP was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1986.
Located in the West Manggarai district, the Komodo Island and its surrounding areas are currently facing a rubbish problem. Based on research done by the WWF Indonesia and KNP, the problem stems from the growing number of visitors, improperly disposed trash and limited trash management facilities in the area.
A shocking 90 percent of the rubbish is in the form of plastic, leaving only 10% as general waste. The accumulated rubbish clogs drains, piles up under trees and leaves the roads and beaches littered.
The alarming situation brought about cooperation between the Government, WWF Indonesia and the public. In support of reducing the negative impact of waste in the region, the WWF started with developing people’s awareness about trash management, supporting regulations relating to it.
Moreover, the international non-governmental organisation donated the essential machines to process trash. The carrier, enumerator and press machine compact and reduce the garbage with high labour efficiency. However, it is the plastic trash that needs special attention; the non-biodegradable materials that form 90% of the debris.
Decomposing plastic has a negative effect on the oceans and the environment. The sewing machine for plastic trash donated by the WWF helps turn the plastics into reusable materials as well as reinforcing any businesses and communities that deal with reproducing trash and turning it into income.
What’s your Dua Tangan Cukup action? Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll share them here to inspire others to help clean up the environment and make a change!