Tubagus-Wardana-jail

Prosecutors Seek Prison For American Robbery Suspect

Prosecutors have sought two and half years in prison for an American-national charged with robbing several convenience stores in tourist hotspots Kuta and Seminyak, Bali.

Paul Anthony Hoffman, a 57-year-old who hails from New York but is currently based in Sanur, allegedly held up several stores while armed with a knife in February before he was arrested later that month.

According to Antara, Public Prosecutor Fitria Chandawati said Hoffman had violated a section of the Criminal Code and “has been proven guilty of theft by force of threat of violence against another person.”

Prosecutors added some leniency had been sought as Hoffman had been helpful during the trial and does not have any prior charges.

Local media reports in February said Hoffman had allegedly pulled a knife on a cashier on Feb. 8 and took off with Rp8.7 million (US$653) and two bottles of alcohol. He then hit at least four more stores before being arrested on Feb. 16.

The trial continues next week where the defense team is expected to dispute the sentence request.

See: Manager Stages Fake Robbery At His Own Mart, Gets Busted

Comments

comments



Erin Cook is an Australian expat in Indonesia and the head of English editorial at Content Collision.


Education Guide 2017

Please provide an email address where we should send the download link.