Have you felt that nagging feeling, when you have a lot of work piled up and it’s so overwhelming just to know which stack to start with?
If you have, then it is time for you to start a daily planner, to better plan your days and to keep you on schedule.
There are many different types of planners on the market as, understandably, people have different preferences. For example, people who don’t have much time can simply buy planners from bookshops and that will be good enough for them. However, in my opinion, these over the counter planners are less personalised, don’t reflect your personality, and can’t meet your needs well. If you are someone artistic and creative, perhaps bullet journalling is ideal for you. Not only does it help you to be more organised, but you will also enjoy the process and the end product of your masterpiece.
A bullet journal is a personalised journal that is created by you, for you. You can choose the colours, design, theme, and everything else that goes into your bullet journal! It is extremely fun, especially if you have a group of friends who are into bullet journalling. You can exchange design ideas or even decorative stickers!
Some people may not have the confidence to start a bullet journal as they feel that their design will not be good enough, but this is something you should never feel. No matter how bad your designs look, keep working on your journal and soon you will improve.
You will also start to realise that the importance of bullet journals is not just their beauty, but also their practicality to be used daily. It must motivate you to work on keeping up to date with your schedule.
Ryder Carroll is the creator of bullet journals. He’s worked with companies like Adidas, American Express, Cisco, IBM, Macy’s, and HP. He has also been featured in famous newspapers like the New York Times, LA Times, and many more. He says that bullet journalling “helps you track the past, organise the present, and plan for the future.”
Many people want to start bullet journalling but they don’t know what to keep track of. This can be overwhelming for a starter.
Here are some ideas on what you can keep track of or what to fill your journal with:
• A weekly spread is a common feature in all bullet journals. It keeps track of what you need to do for the week. You can add little drawings or emoticons instead of words as a reminder.
• A habit tracker helps you keep track of your habits, like studying, reading, workouts and other things.
• A sleep tracker – many people are so busy that they only get a few hours of sleep a day and this can be detrimental to your health.
If you are one of these people, then you should start this amazing tracker that will improve your sleeping habits in no time. It is also a useful tracker to show to your doctor should your sleeplessness persist.
• A food tracker is useful to you if you’re trying to lose weight. You can add in the time you eat your food and the calories consumed per food item. This food tracker will be useful for your doctor or dietitian to help you lose weight.
• A mood tracker means that you can also keep track of your moods. Mood trackers are really useful to make you more aware of yourself and how your mood affects others.
You can also add other things besides trackers:
• Books to Read. Many people have a lot of books that they want to read and they tend to forget about them. In order to remember the titles, drawing out a book to write the titles would act as a good reminder.
• Fun Doodles. When you have finished your work and have some free time, it’s a good idea to start a fun doodles page. You can draw cute doodles for fun and you will be able to improve your bullet journalling skills too.
Although it is better to have certain pens designed for bullet journalling, you will do just fine without them. Here is some stationery that will be most suitable for you.
• Tombow Brush Pen. This brush pen is really useful for you to write in cursive or calligraphy, it will make your calligraphy look much nicer. Although there are many brands of brush pens, Tombow is one of the best brands in the market. You can find them in almost all major bookstores.
• Zebra Mildliner. Most people think that mildliners are basically highlighters, but this is not quite true. Mildliners have two tips, one is thick while the other is fine. Mildliners also appear differently on different papers.
• Colourful pens. Pens are very common in our everyday lives. However, in bullet journalling, colourful pens really come in handy when you are writing out habits or dates. They help to make your page more colourful and vibrant.
If you are ever unsure about how to go about starting your bullet journal, Instagram or Pinterest are always there to help you. You can simply search “bullet journal” in Pinterest and many results will come out. All you need to do is look at a few samples and ideas to use as an inspiration to get you started.
On Instagram, you can search in the tags section, here are some hashtags that you can use to search: #bullet journal #weeklyspread #habit tracker #bujocommunity #bujolove #bujoideas. These are just six of the many hashtags available on Instagram, and you can also follow bullet journal accounts in your Instagram.
If you would like to get feedback on your bullet journal, post photos of your work on your Instagram page; other fans of bullet journals will give a like and post comments and give feedback on your creation. This will help to build your confidence and can help you improve. You can also communicate with people in the bullet journal community through private messages for advice.
This is a wrap of the basics of bullet journalling that you will need to know and it will hopefully give you an idea of what you can do with one. Hop on down to the nearest major bookstore to buy a gridded or unruled notebook and the pens we suggested. Give it a try and you will be hooked!
Form a bullet journalling club with your family and friends to make your experience a more social one! Let your creativity flow into your personalised bullet journals.